Thursday, June 25, 2009

To be sober? What does THAT mean?

I am looking now so much at Titus 2. This particular passage is probably my favorite of all the many passages on the when, where, why, what, how, etc. of a young married woman. I had heard so much about Proverbs 31 and I Peter 3 throughout my life (both and many more of which are absolutely wonderful), but Titus 2 has just really grabbed my attention.


Titus 2:1-5 says "But speak thou the things which become sound doctrine: That the aged men be sober, grave, temperate, sound in faith, in charity, in patience. The aged women likewise, that they be in behaviour as becometh holiness, not false accusers, not given to much wine, teachers of good things; That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children. To be discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God be not blasphemed."

What does it mean to be sober? To me, according to the opening verse, being sober is part of sound doctrine. It's used twice in these five verses, once for the "aged men" and once for the "young women." It must then be important. According to Random House Webster's College Dictionary, sober is first defined in reference to alcohol, but there is much more beyond that to describe this word. Other definitions include: quiet or sedate in demeanor; marked by seriousness; showing self control, just to name a few. The one definition that sticks out the most to me is rational - right thinking. II Timothy 1:7 says, "For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind" (rational or right thinking). I think this especially catches my attention because when I think of it in regards to marriage (from the wife's perspective, of course), rational reminds me of how we must behave ourselves with our spouses when both parties are affected by their sin natures. I think that when I have rational or right thinking, it can only come from the wisdom of God. Do I accept it?

So, how are we doing so far? I know when I study this, it is convicting. I know that I'm not always rational in dealing with my husband. I know I don't always show self-control or act quiet and sedate in my demeanor. How can this be possible to accomplish when I allow my sin nature to be in control instead of being controlled by the Holy Spirit? (Gal. 5:16, Eph. 4:18) It isn't possible unless I am being controlled by the Holy Spirit. That is the only way.

Now, let's bring it down to the practical. With wifely duties, how do I practice being sober? If I bring a rational and serious mind to my daily life and home, influenced by my daily reading of God's Word and a constant attitude prayer throughout the day, I will be able to be affective, serving, and loving to my husband and my children. Referring back to my first post, in this, do I glorify God?

1 comment:

  1. Your blog is GREAT and totally honors God~I like that! (((((HUGS))))) sandi~clicked over from 7X

    ReplyDelete